When Donna Kay and I arrived home from a shopping trip to Humble at 10:30 p.m. on Friday, July 26, we smelled an odor in the garage. The laundry room light wouldn’t turn on. There was a haze in the house. I pulled down the attic stairs, choked on the fumes, and told Donna Kay to call 911.
The fire department found burnt wires in our attic that had already charred a rafter and the plywood sheathing above it. The captain said that in another 20 minutes the house would have been in blazes.
The next day the electricians discovered the cause: during a storm a branch had fallen onto the power line, snapping the neutral.
A garage door opener and a television were zapped by the power surge, but nothing else was lost. There was not even smoke damage to our belongings.
The wiring has been replaced and we are back in the house. We give thanks to the Lord for what He has done.
A highlight for me recently was the opportunity to baptize Tionna Davis at Wild Country Mission on July 12. She had responded to an invitation when I preached there in May. After being followed up by Diann Hensley and other members of the church, Tionna was ready and excited to follow the Lord in baptism. Donna Kay led worship that day and we also celebrated the Lord’s Supper together — Tionna’s first time as a newly baptized believer.
As a director of missions, I don’t get to baptize very often, so it was a real joy to assist Tionna in taking her stand for Jesus.
Back in April I was one of several volunteers who led an Experiencing God Weekend at the Diboll Correction Unit. Forty-six men participated and began learning and doing the will of God.
I recently received the group photo below of the men and leaders (that’s me in the blue shirt in the middle). The chaplain reports that four of the men pictured were baptized at the prison on May 10. God is good!
Experiencing the Grace of God,